Thursday, December 17, 2009

Static-Descriptive Essay- Road Trip

Road trip


As the sun reaches its peak and the wind becomes more humid than ever, one knows that summer has arrived. Sweat dripping from your body, down to the hard dry pavement signals you that it is time to escape the tremendous heat or try to embrace it by going to the beach. Summer, though it comes with factors that are not really fantastic, still brings us joy because it is the one time in the year where one can be with friends, not worrying about anything and just enjoying life.

For me, the summer of 2008 was by far the best summer yet. Thirteen energized girls itching to be in their colorful bikinis and to lie on the fine, loose grains of sand, were tightly packed like sardines in a mini van that was meant for eight people max. The ride going to La Union was so long that one could sleep the whole ride and wake-up and still would not be in the destination. We all decided that a way to end our boredom is by singing. My friend carefully reached into her enormous bag and got her bright yellow iPod and stuck it to the jack. A deafening blast of music came from the speakers, playing the song “hit me baby one more time by Britney Spears” and in that moment everyone knew that this would be the best summer yet. Everyone in the car started to shout out the lyrics and wildly danced the dance steps, bringing us back tour grade school days where we all met, as we heard the song. After seven long hours in the cramped-up mini van, the whole van jumped up and down with a screeching noise coming from each girls swollen tonsils as the fat sweaty driver annoyingly announced that we have arrived in La Union.

As we reached San Juan, La Union, the sun was at its highest. You could feel the scorching heat of the sun burn you as it touches your skin. The little air that you could feel was sticky, making my long hair coarse and stick to the droplets of sweat going down my neck. Though the sun was hotter than usual, nothing could stop us from getting into the cool blue waters of San Juan. The group of feisty young girls ran out of the mini van, running with all their might to dive in the tempting water. Clothes were flying everywhere as we nearly approached the water. As our bare feet made contact with the dry, coarse sand; you could hear wails of different pitches, crying out as a burning sensation hit the soles of our feet, thus making us run faster to reach the water. The moment our feet reached the water, the pain was washed away and a feeling of relief was with us.

In the middle of the day, you could still see smiles in every face stretching from corner to corner, happily enjoying the sun, water and company. While the others were happily doing their own thing, I decided that it was the right time to surf as the waves were high enough and the water was cleared of other surfers. I rapidly went to this little shack where they keep all the surfboards. The board that I have been using since I started surfing was an 8.9 inch water-cooled board with a yellow base and red trim. As I got my board, I strapped my leash to my leg, hearing the ripping sound of the Velcro as I did it. I carefully got in the water, looking at both sides to see if the coast was clear and if the waters were safe to surf. I hastily paddled my way to the point, feeling the wind on my face and the sun on the back of my legs. The waves at the point were around 3ft, not that high but high enough to surf. As a wave was approaching, I felt a tingling sensation go through my body- the same feeling I felt the first time I learned how to surf. I could not believe that I was surfing again. I stoop up with balance and rode the wave like a pro. My friends back at the shore were so happy to finally see me surf. I felt an adrenaline rush go through my body, what an ecstatic feeling. After riding the wave, my friends felt jealous and decided to join me as well. We surfed the whole day.

As night arrived, our bodies were worked up to the bones. Our legs were like jelly, our arms felt so heavy as if they were paddling forever. To top of the atrocious body pain we were feeling, our skin was burnt to a crisp. Our faces and bodies were lobster- colored and with it, a pain that is too horrible one cannot describe. We all decided that it was time to retire and call it a day. We sluggishly went to our rooms, walking like disabled people, dragging our bodies to reach the room. In the room, bottles of green aloe vera gel covered our side table. Slowly and carefully untying every knot, unhooking every clasp of our bathing suits, we all took a cold shower. The pain was unbearable as the water from the shower hit our skin like a million needles would. We were all ready to hit the sack as we all stopped and recalled the day. Though we were all dying in pain, we realized that it was all worth it and that tomorrow we would do everything all over again.

Reflection:

In this essay I think I had a hard time following the showing-telling format. It was hard to describe something as if the person reading was actually present in the story. I admit that my vocabulary isn’t as broad as those of my block mates and I feel that this was a factor why I found writing this essay quite difficult. Trying to recall the fine details of my story was pretty difficult too thus being the picture I chose was taken 2 years ago. I think that my essay would be better if I got the chance to explain more further some parts of the essay using the showing-telling format.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of information is very useful and informative. It's help me alot to understand this topic

    ReplyDelete