Thursday, December 17, 2009

Reflective Essay 1

Reflective Essay

When I was young I didn’t care for reading so much; instead, I would spend all my time doing other extra-curricular activities such as sports, acting, dancing, and the like. Reading for me was something boring that only smart or old people would do. Other than my disinterest in reading, my parents never encouraged me to read books but instead allowed me to buy video or audio books on novels and stories I had to read for school.

As I got older, I realized the importance of reading. The first book that I finished from cover-to-cover was the novel “The Giver” which was a requirement for school. I had a hard time understanding the story at first especially the symbolisms used. I felt as if I was a 1-year-old learning my A, B, Cs for the first time. As time went by, pages flipped over and over., I became more engrossed about a story of a town which was governed by an authoritarian government. I then realized that I enjoyed reading books, especially those which were interesting and which I had something to get out of. From then on, I started reading novels- mostly classics- written by great authors of the olden times like my favorite Jane Austin. Though at times, I still have a hard time understanding some symbolisms in books. What I do is I try to read the stories slowly so that I would fully understand the novel and grasp its idea.

I feel that I have an edge in reading and writing in English because I have been fully trained in school to do so. I also come from a family of writers which is a good and bad thing at the same time. It is good in a way that I gain extra knowledge about understanding certain things relating to the English language and I get to practice speaking in English daily. On the other hand, I too find it hard being part of a family of journalists in a sense that I sometimes have a hard time talking or expressing thing to them because I get criticized most of the time. I do believe that I have to work on my reading and writing techniques so I can improve and become a better writer. I also feel that I have to work on my speed when reading and try to finish reading the books as fast as I can while understanding it fully. In writing, I feel that I can improve on my vocabulary and my spelling because I believe those are my weakest points. Other than that, my organization of thought must be improved on.

I am expecting Englcom to be a fun and tedious subject- fun because we would hopefully be reading interesting articles, while at the same time tedious because of the numerous papers that we would be writing. I’m expecting that we would get to have group works and other fun activities to take the stress away from the following papers we would have to accomplish. I, too, expect that this class would help make my reading and writing skills excel and that the whole class would have a fun time in this subject. I expect to have a hard time writing the numerous amounts of papers but I still hope that I would be inspired at one point in accomplishing them all. This subject would be a tremendous help to me and everyone taking this subject to submit great works that are worth reading. Through this course I do believe that this would help me in my future subjects. Based on the syllabus of this course, I feel that my skills in reading and writing would improve greatly if I do my best and work hard in this subject. Other that this, I feel that this course would help me in the future especially when working with intelligent people which I wouldn’t have to be intimidated by them because of reading and writing skills that are at the same level as theirs. I believe that I would learn a lot from this course and it would really help me now until the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment