Saturday, December 19, 2009

Reflective Essay 2

A taste of Englcom


Three months have gone by, how time flies so quickly. I didn’t notice that this was the last day of Englcom. Imagine meeting four times a week, one and a half hours per meeting for three months. Englcom was already part of our system; it’s going to be hard and terribly sad without it.

At first I thought to myself that Englcom would be a piece of cake, wherein I wouldn’t have that much trouble in composing essays, but I was mistaken. Englcom certainly tested our ability in reading and more on writing. It made sure that we left the course leaving as better writer than we were when we started. This wasn’t achieved in an essay and carefree manner. It took us three months to be molded into better writers through continuous writing activities that challenged our thinking capacity and really worked our hand out, thus resulting to callous rather than muscles. By writing those seven essays; now eight, we learned the techniques one must be equipped with to become a good writer.


I entered this class thinking that I didn’t need it, that I was fully trained and equipped with all the writing techniques that the subject was to teach. After receiving the results of my first reflective essay I realized that I had much to improve on and that this course would really help me in achieving that. Some of the mistakes I needed improvement were my grammar, word selection, use of punctuation marks, organization of thought and vocabulary. I think I can say first hand that I have improved greatly. The numerous essays we were told to write helped in doing this. Every time I was given my paper back I would really review the corrections my classmate would make and what Ms. Kathy would comment on my paper too. Even though I knew that everyone had a smiley face on his or her papers too, I would still be extra happy if I get more than one smiley face on my paper. The way our writing activities were planned out was also very helpful. Peer counseling at first was kind of embarrassing; having your classmate read your paper and judge it wasn’t my thing. But after experiencing doing it and realizing that the activity wasn’t meant for embarrassment but to help us grow as writers, I was comfortable in doing it again.


I feel that all my expectations were met in this subject. I was really surprised when we had the activity wherein we were suppose to write instruction on how to make a peanut butter sandwich and have the chosen pair demonstrate it in front of the whole class, it was like home-ec class but better! The readings we had too were very interesting, ones I haven’t heard of. I especially like the German version of Cinderella, where on can appreciate how a writer can make the nicest of stories into a morbid, dark story. This taught me that ones imagination is a very strong weapon and a good writer must have this to make his or her stories come to life. Creativity is also something one must acquire to become good writers. Through the activities we had in Englcom I learned theses lessons.


Though Englcom is already over, it will still remain with us until we leave college because the lessons it has taught us would imprinted in us forever. Ebglcom would be a really big help in college and in the future. I am truly thankful that we were forced to take the subject and that I had a wonderful instructor, Ms. Kathy, that made this subject even better than it was supposed to be.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I've been following up on your blog for a while. Your essays are really inspirational for me and I'll make sure to give you a shout out on my blog. Sometimes I have that writer's block and reading your blog really gets me thinking again, thanks!
    --
    Shreya M.
    www.explodetowords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete